Blogging has evolved from just quality content to SEO optimized social content, so it becomes an important aspect for every blogger to write quality content by taking care of SEO. If you’re a blogger and your main focus is on writing a quality content then you are making a big mistake! See, what you will do by writing quality content if you are not getting enough traffic which you suppose to get. So, keyword research becomes a must that every blogger should learn about and we are going to use Google Keyword research tool to research keyword for our articles.
Understanding Basic Concepts:
Keywords <~ You can suppose keyword as a compass: they tell you where to go. They are simple “text phrase” that helps search engine to better understand your web page/article.
Keyword research is identifying those words that people enter into search engines (Google, Bing) or is the process of identifying keywords, which get the good amount of search volume per month.
The idea behind performing a research is to, find the keywords that can give maximum traffic and comes with less competition.
An Example: The two keyword: ‘wordpress SEO plugins’ and ‘best wordpress plugins for seo’ both looks similar but have different monthly searches. Take a look:
1. Google keyword planner tool is free, you just need a Google Adwords account.
2. You can also search for google adwords coupons to create one free account, and start using Keyword Planner tool.
3. This tool is created to target adwords advertisers, but it still gives a great deal of information when it comes to finding the right keyword for your blog and articles.
Below is the homepage of this tools:
Understanding input fields:
1. Your Product or Service <~ to write your target Keyword.
Flashback: As, we already told you, the idea here is to find a keyword that has good traffic but low competition. If you’re working on a blog for the long-term goal, you can target high competition keyword otherwise you can use low competition Keyword. You’ll see what this meant later.
Their are basically has 3 different types of keyword search type:
- Broad <~ Helps to target long-tail keyword. Prefer when writing personal blogs. Ex: If your target keyword is ‘basketball’ then you will target visitors that search for ‘black basketball’, ‘basketball nike’ etc.
- Exact <~ Matches exact search word. Prefer when doing research for micro-niche site. Ex: If your target keyword is ‘basketball’ then you will only target visitors that search for keyword ‘basketball’.
- Phrase <~ is useful when you need keyword in an exact phrase.
Which one to select?
It all depends on you. First ask yourself, weather you want 100 un-targeted visitors or 10 targeted one?
If your answer is “Targeted”, then use “exact keyword” and don’t leave those keywords with low traffic.
If your answer is “un-targeted” then select “broad keyword”. It helps you in longer run. Make sure to check “Google traffic trend” too, which will help you to check your target keyword traffic pattern over the time.
2. Your Landing Page <~ Your article or website page URL (optional).
3. Your Product category <~ Select the category in which your article and keyword comes in. Ex: If your target keyword is “basketball” then select “sport and fitness”.
4. Targeting <~ Used to add more filter to your search. Contains country search volume, language and target device (PC, or tablets, or smartphones).
5. Customize your search <~ helps to filter keyword suggestions.
6. Data Range <~ Helps to filter search shows the average of search happened in last 12 months.
- Global monthly search: Global monthly search shows the average of search happened in last 12 months globally.
- Local monthly search: It shows the search volume based on your filter.
- Approximate CPC: This column shows approx. CPC (Cost per click), for an advertiser. It is a good idea to pick high CPC keywords, where advertisers are bidding more but with low competition.
As most of our readers are blogger so we’re keeping search for exact search type.
Performing Keyword Research:
semrush or LongTailPro will be used to analyze the competition of a keyword. Basically, this would help us determine how easy or difficult it is to rank for a certain keyword. Their are more tools similar to them, we will some of them later.
Use of Google instant Search to find Keyword:
Open Google, and start writing word related to your article, for example; I started typing “wordpress th” and google instant search suggested search results. Depending upon your post type, you can pick 3-4 of them which make sense to you.
Updated: Now, google doesn’t show much result as it did before but you will still find couple of them by repeating the above step for different words.
We picked 2 from here. First one is “free wordpress themes” and “best wordpress themes“.
Now, we’ll find if above selected Keywords are going to do any benefit regarding traffic, or just going to be another article with not much value from traffic POV.
Keyword Search Analysis:
Put your selected keyword on google keyword planner tool and perform a search.
Key Point: You can put multiple keyword separated by comma (,) in keyword planner. See:
We usually recommend using 2-3 keywords/post. You can create your SEO strategy depending upon your post quality and length.
As the keyword which we selected in above image is not so good, we get many good ones in suggested keyword box below it, but for the information sake, we have selected only these two keywords, and now it is time to check, which one of them is less competitive. Before that, you can change your filter to see if your target Keyword has any exact match type or not.
Checking Keyword Competition using SEMRUSH:
Semrush is paid but you can follow this link to get a free 14 day trial.
More tools for checking Keyword competition:
Now, you find a keyword the next step will be “How to write keyword optimized article” (we are publishing it with in 1-2 days).
If you have any confusing regarding this article, then you can comment below and bunch of us try to help you.
Subscribe to our newsletter to know when we are updating our blog.